Wednesday, November 14, 2007

The Infamous Bike Ride

First let me say that if your not watching Nip / Tuck you don't know what your missing. The show is kicking ass even though Tuesday night Kimber, (Kelly Carlson) made her first appearance...to bad it's going to get ruined by the writers strike.

On to school...Our first assignment in English Composition was to write a memoir. It was not to be a life story like a typical memoir, it was just something that had happened to us in our life. Now there are plenty of stories that I could share at this point, but I decided I would write about a bike ride I took after moving to Manhattan Beach, CA in 1999. It's worth the read, I promise.

I had only been living in Southern California about a week when I decided I would check out the lay of the land with a nice bike ride. I decided to ride from my new home in Manhattan Beach down to Redondo Beach, which is about four miles. What I didn’t realize was this would be the costliest ride of my life.

Riding along the strand was something I had seen a number of people do, and I thought this would be a great way to take in the sights and get to know the beach area around me. I grabbed my headphones, cranked some tunes, jumped on my bike, and headed out on my way. It was about 6 p.m. on a Wednesday in April. The ride started off like any other, I had Led Zeppelin cranked on the Walkman and I was just cruising along for a few miles. I got to the end of Hermosa Beach and thought it would be nice to continue to Redondo Beach. I didn’t realize this would end up being the costly move.

As I began to ride on to Redondo Beach, I got off of the strand and ended up on the street in the bike lane. Before I knew it, I was at a three way stop light. I stopped at the red light and continued on my ride, even though the light was still red. I was about fifty feet past the light when I heard police sirens. I looked back to see what was happening and realized they were for me. Since I was not from California I didn’t know I’d just broken the law. I thought, what could I have possibly done? It soon became a good cop bad cop situation. As the officers walked up to me from their car they spoke the funniest words I have ever heard “Can you step off the bike please?” I laughed not thinking they were serious, but they were. As I got off of my bike I could see the gym rats at Gold’s Gym across the street thinking they were witnessing an episode of “Cops”. I asked “What did I do?” One officer replied “You just ran a red light.” I had no idea this was against the law on a bicycle. Then the questioning began. Where was I from? Where I was I going? Did I have any drugs or guns? I couldn’t believe what was happening. The officers did not believe that I was just out for a bike ride on the beach, and they certainly did not believe that this long haired dude did not have any drugs or guns. After frisking me, the good cop asked me where I was from and how I liked it in Southern California, meanwhile the bad cop was running all my information to make sure they didn’t just catch a fugitive. He walked back up to my bike and I could see he was writing me a ticket. I couldn’t believe this was happening. I thought I was on an episode of “Punked”. The officer handed me the ticket and sent me on my way. That was the end of that ride. I immediately turned around and went back home. I never did make it to Redondo Beach that day since I was so mad the ride home was a quick one.

About ten days later, it was another sunny Saturday afternoon, and I thought it would be a great idea to venture out on another ride. Again I grabbed my headphones and took off. I decided to do the same route as before since I didn’t get to complete the ride the last time. This time I made sure I followed every sign correctly, and I made it to Redondo Beach. It was the way back, where I ran into trouble.

I was about to get on the bike path again, but as I rode down the street I saw a police car make a u-turn, head straight toward me and block me in the bike path. I immediately started laughing. The officer asked “What is so funny?” I replied “Are you going to give me a ticket?” He answered with a “Yes”. As you can imagine I was in shock. Of all the people bicycling on a Saturday afternoon I was the one getting another ticket. I asked “What did I do this time?” the officer said I was going the wrong way in the bike lane. I was going northbound in the southbound lane to be exact. I explained for a second time that I was new to the city and didn’t know there was another bike lane. He didn’t care and wrote me my second bicycle ticket in less than two weeks. It was another quick ride home. I was mad as hell.

Fast forward, about two months, and I realized that I had not paid the fines. After calling the courthouse I was told that I needed to appear in court since there was a warrant for my arrest on my unpaid bicycle tickets. I freaked out. I had no idea I was a wanted man. After being reassured I would not be arrested if I made it to court in the next few days, I was there the next morning. I have never been more embarrassed in my life. I had to plead my case in front of a full courthouse over a couple bicycle tickets. I said my piece regarding the tickets. I told the court about my situation of just moving to California. I told the judge I was not avoiding paying the tickets. I let him know that I was unemployed and I was doing everything I could to make ends meet. The judge looked at me almost as if he thought I was lying and asked in an uncaring tone if I was finished. I could tell from that voice I was in serious trouble. He let me know that based on my failure to appear in court and the failed attempts to file an extension to pay the fines, that I would pay everything that day in full. The total was $650.00. The Judge slammed the gavel and I walked out of the courtroom with my head hung low. As I went to pay the fine, I told the clerk not to cash the check that day or else the check would bounce higher than a rubber ball. She laughed and told me not to worry it would be a few days.

It was expensive living in Southern California for six years. It was two years before I took another bike ride, but I made sure that after that experience I always followed the laws of bike riding. As one of the officers kindly reminded me, ignorance of the law is not an excuse.

I still am amazed it happened to me, but I at least can look back now and kind of laugh. My teacher loved it. She said, "Incredible story, you won't have to worry about that happening in Central Florida." By the way I have to add... 100% on that paper...Can I get a Hell Yea!?

No comments: