Friday, November 9, 2007

Test Today...Memories of KSHE-95

Classes are rolling right along today is our first test in Art History. It should be interesting. It has been so long since I have taken a test. It's always even more nerve wrecking when you only have 2 tests for the month. The mid term and the final.

The other night I was surfing the web and decided to visit the radio station of KSHE-95. This was the station I grew up listening to and help to shape the music I listen to today. KSHE-95 Real Rock Radio is truly legendary. It's 40 years old and I believe is the oldest FM rock station in the country. KSHE has built a Real Rock Museum on the website. It really brought back memories of growing up in St. Louis. I wasn't at the station, I never even visited the station, but just looking through the pictures and watching the old TV commercials really hit home. I also loved seeing all the stations old bumper stickers. Sweet Meat the KSHE hog was in almost all of them. It was hilarious. Always putting him with bands or even what was popular culture at the time. I actually remember having a t-shirt that was Beavis and Butt Meat with the KSHE hog dressed up to look like Butthead from the famous cartoon Beavis and Butthead.


It was awesome. By the way Sweet Meat originally had a joint in his mouth not a cigarette...The pig mascot was basically a direct rip off of the Blodwyn Pig album cover.(Thanks Todd)The other thing about the site was it really showcased how radio USED to be. I stress how it USED to be. Bands coming by and shaking hands doing the interviews and really trying to promote themselves and their music. Everyone thinks that we all go in and do our 4, 5, or 6 hour shift and then head home. NOT the case. There really is more work in to your show and behind the scenes than you might think.

At any rate check out this museum...It really is incredible. I did have to laugh when I saw a friend in a photo and we joked about how was thinner then, but he still had the autographed book. The only complaint I have is that I at times I wondered was this about KSHE or about this DJ named Favazz...Who I happen to think is a prick, but that is another story. Let's just say I wish Zakk Wylde would have beat him senseless. You can even hear that audio on the site.

Classic photos of the U-man, John Ulett, the guy has been with the station forever...probably 37 or 38 years. I'm not sure but he's a lucky dude. It's like my buddy Blade...When you think of WRDU you think of him. Well it's the same thing with U-man and KSHE.

No comments: